[Dixielandjazz] Live vs. Studio recordings.

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:22:25 PDT 2007

As Steve said, improvisers usually play better for an audience. It is
also quite possible to get excellent sound quality from a live
recording if the environment can be controlled. My point wasn't to
claim that live is better than studio (or vice versa) but to say that
most, if not all recordings benefit from post-production. Even live
ones. How much processing to use is a matter of taste and budget, but
for me the right approach is the same as the one Kash uses: apply
enough post production processing to take attention off of the
recording and steer it towards the music. Does anybody really want to
buy a 74 minute binaural recording with all the warts, chatter and
weaknesses left in?

-- Paul Edgerton