[Dixielandjazz] Hanky Panky

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 31 00:42:47 PDT 2007

> There may be those who misconstrue the significance of Glen Hardman's
> "Upright Organ Blues".
> The only recording was made on June 26, 1939 with some nice solos by
> Hardman, Lee Castle and Lester Young.

Dear Stan,
Virtuous record collectors like me wouldn't.
Because we have the records and the full details for the Columbia
session:

Glenn Hardman and his Hammond Five:
Lee Castle, t; Lester Young, cl/ts) Glenn Hardman, org; Freddie Green,
g; Jo Jones, d.
Chicago 26 June 1939
WC2636-A    China Boy
WC2637-A    Exactly Like You
WC2637-B    Exactly Like You
WC2638-A    On The Sunny Side of The Street
WC2639-A    Upright Organ Blues
WC2640-A    Who ?
WC2641-A    Jazz Me Blues
It must have been accidental as I can't imagine stellar musicians from
that era concocting a tune title like that.
Even though John Hammomd (who arranged the session) said in 1979 "I
still don't know how they got away with that title, particularly in
view of the leader's name." [Glenn Hardman was a white mate of Art
Tatum's from their Cleveland days.]
So go wash your mouth out with soap!
8>)
Kind regards,