[Dixielandjazz] Payin Dues - Was Jonathan Russell You Tube

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 30 19:45:16 PDT 2007

"Janie McCue Lynch" <janie39 at socal.rr.com> (polite snip)

> Hi, Steve--
> ...This clip did not sound nearly as good as Jonathan did
> in person.  I saw him during three different sets,  all with different
> "flavors," and his tonality, harmonies and ability to
> improvise on the spot, even with tunes he had never heard before, were the
> equal or better of a lot of adult musicians I've seen.
>
> I saw him with Night Blooming Jazzmen, Mike Vax Sextet (which was
> exceptional) and Chicago Six.  My friend saw him during his first set with
> Igor, and said that J literally played the entire time....and was great.
>
> I did wonder about the advisability of this young man playing that many sets
> in such a concentrated period.
>
> Indeed, he DOES "swing his little ass off."   I hope that others on the list
> are able to see him play in person....I believe they would become converts
> very quickly to the talents of this exceptional boy.
>
> (And yes, Cocuzzi WAS brilliant...I had not seen him before this festival,
> but sure hope to see more of him when his home base is out here on the left
> coast!)

Thanks Janie

Jonathan is paying his dues. Playing tired is part of that. Playing with
people and bands you've never met prior, is part of that. Playing in
different heat and humidity conditions is part of that. Being criticized is
part of that. I am amazed at how well he handles it all. He'll have fully
paid his dues much sooner than the rest of us did.

The world is rife with tuning problems. I still see wooden instrument
players who don't know enough to take the instrument case and open it up for
a half hour after a trip to an outdoor venue in an air conditioned car. I
still see trumpet players put a mute in and not adjust the tuning slide. I
still hear pianos that are out of tune because the venue doesn't realize
that a heavy handed player (Monk or Cecil Taylor or James P. Johnson) can
de-tune a piano sometimes in one number, (Taylor) often after one night.

He knows he is out of tune. I think his ears are blessed with perfect pitch.
That doesn't make it any easier.

My goodness, he is 12 and IMO plays more OKOM jazz than a lot of so called
jazz musicians. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to working
with him again on July 4th on the Wilmington DE Riverfront. He is a joy to
behold, and has been from day one, 4 years ago on our first gig together.

Regarding Cocuzzi. He is one hell of a Jazz Musician. Ignored by some OKOM
Jazz Societies here in the East because he doesn't fit the mouldie figge
image. He swings his big ass off and it is a shame that his own hometown
jazz society members couldn't hear that.

You left coasters are quite fortunate that he is relocating.

Hopefully the jazz societies are starting to realize that the days of the
mouldie figges, to the exclusion of more swinging forms of OKOM, are
numbered. Or is it just me that sees less and less "revivalist" type, chart
reading, bands advertised at OKOM Festivals these days?

Cheers,
Steve