[Dixielandjazz] Food songs, Double entendre

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 12:57:13 PDT 2007

"Robert Smith" <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote (polite snip)

> I think that referring to all these food-related songs (like ones about
> jelly rolls, kitchen men, etc.) as double entendre is a bit far-fetched.

Depends on where your mind is. :-) VBG

My favorite is an air check transcription of "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead
You Rascal you." from a Louis Armstrong Radio Performance for a NYC station.
Among the food oriented double entendres is:

Louis: "Just what is it that you got, makes my wife think you so hot?"

Band Member in background: "A Frankfurter." or "Big Frankfurter" (it's hard
to hear clearly)

Or from the same song:

"You asked my wife for some cabbage, then you ate just like a savage."
followed by some unintelligible remarks and laughter by band members.

I think the message on those was pretty clear.

As is, to me at least, "Kitchen Man" and Songs like "If I can Sell It, I'll
Just Keep Sittin on it." Even though at the end, the reference is to a chair
no doubt to keep the censors at bay.

No doubt Audrey Van Dyke has a lot of titles/lyrics from the Smithsonian
Collection of race records that are just a bit risque in a sexual sense.
Must be lots of them including "I Want Some Sea (C) Food, Momma."

Many jazz musicians are sexual beings with wicked senses of humor.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone