[Dixielandjazz] Rebuking Larry

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun May 27 21:41:41 PDT 2007

I wouldn't know why it would have done that - I have no filters or
blockers - but you don't have to go off list - I can handle it.

I wasn't really intending to blanket all female (male too) singers.  There
are those who are professional and who make a good living and give an honest
return for the customers and band leaders money but at the same time for
each one of those there are many more who just aren't.  They tend to not
last long in the business for a long list of reasons.  I was in a band one
time where the singer was a druggie and her husband owned the band.  Both
were very talented but I bailed out and took the keyboard player and drummer
with me.

It's really a simple formula and it's the same if you play some instrument
or sing.  Be professional, do what you say you are going to do, be where you
are supposed to be, don't beg out of jobs, learn the tunes, don't waste the
band's time and be good at what you do.  I find it really hard to see how
you or anyone else can argue with that and I also find it hard to imagine
that you haven't been around singers that regularly break one or more of
those rules on a regular basis.  They do things to band leaders that they
would never dream of doing on a regular job.

The problem with a pregnant woman is not the leader's perception or the
woman's talent or her work ethic either but rather the public's reaction to
her on stage and what they do.  If they decide to not hire you for whatever
reason you don't work.  You can't influence the public or their decision
making or make them choose you over someone else as much as we would like
to.  I am only saying it makes a difference.

The people I am talking about are the working bands.  I am not talking about
hobby bands, the once a month guys or community bands and I guess I'm not
talking about the people at the top or what any of them do. The economics of
those bands are pretty much immune from ordinary reality and they can get
away with a lot more.  Having said that I don't think I have ever seen a
pregnant vocalist in front of any of them either. (Maybe Cher)

I still use a female vocalist because it sells well and gives the band
variety that people like.  That's completely aside from vocalists who are
playing at being professional singers and I think there is a vast
distinction.

Band leaders invest a lot of energy, time and money in singers and some are
just very high maintenance.  Most bands just don't want the baggage or to
fool with it.  One of the hobby bands here who has been in existence for a
great many years just bounced their singer / trombone player because she
just got on too many peoples toes.   She was a pretty good singer and people
generally liked her.  She was with them about 10 years.  Her bank president
husband quit too.  Even hobby bands have their limits.

A previous singer with my band was a personal friend but the price in
baggage just got too high to pay and I replaced her.  Some of that baggage
wasn't even her fault.   I regret that because she's better than great but
there is a limit to how much I will allow a singer or a situation to jerk me
around.   All of the other things come first then talent - It's not the
other way around.

I notice that no one out there has refuted anything I have said, nor have
you except to say you don't like what I said.  I wish it weren't that way
but my experience has been that since I actually employed a pregnant woman
to front a band I found it wasn't a very good idea.  For heaven's sake it
cost her money too.  I didn't fire her and she rode through the loss of gigs
the same as we did.  She eventually left town with her husband or I would
still be using her.  I liked her that well.

OH NO there's another reason - leaving town with your husband that just got
fired from his job.  Women have a whole lot more pressures to not work or be
professional than they have incentive to be professional and continue
working.  The singer I have now is trying very hard but she has a family
that, as it should, comes first.  I work with her and understand these
things but there are limits and she knows that.

How many pregnant singers have you seen? dozens, several, one or none.  Were
they fronting a working band that played regular or a hobby band?  Has any
working band out there ever had a pregnant singer for an extended length of
time?  What happened?  I only told you what happened in our case.

I have been in the business for a very long time and I have to say I have
never seen a pregnant singer fronting a band either in casual work or clubs
around here.  That's not to say that it has never happened just that no one
that I know of has ever done it except myself and it turned out IMO to be a
poor idea.

I am in the music business and I make decisions regarding that business so
it can stay in business.  As such it's there to make money for myself as
well as for the other band members.  It's not there to be a social
experiment or to make anyone feel good.
Larry