[Dixielandjazz] having just a so-so voice

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun May 27 20:00:12 PDT 2007

Having just a so-so voice - - -that would be me.  I usually start my
vocals with a warning to the crowd:  "I can't sing . . . . . . . . but
I will anyway".

That way I don't  have to live up to any pre-conceived notion about the
quality of my voice. I don't believe, as some people do (often quite
erroneously) that I'm a singer. However,  I think I pull it off by
putting myself into the song with all the panache I can muster, while
trying not to lay too big a musturd, and all the while just having fun.
  Just as much fun as I do instrumentally.  Throwing caution to the
wind, I blast it out and have a blast!

If you'd really in need of seeing a whole planet full of voiceless,
pitchless people thinking that they can sing but sound like chickens
being squeezed around the neck, go spend an evening listening to
kakaoke.  Most of the people believe that they sound wonderful.  It's a
once-in-a-lifetime experience.   Going more than once is not for
musically normal people.  [Maybe they all have the philosophy I have .
. . can't sing, but will anyway.] There has to be a reason for this
aberration of music, so you see - - - it's not just rap.

If you like to drink, and even if you don't, karaoke will drive you to
it,  and it should probably be listed as one of mankind's original
sins.

You've all heard the warning:  " Don't mess with me - -I know Karaoke
and know how to use it!"  Right?