[Dixielandjazz] FW: vocals

L Patrick Briody lpbriody at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 12:16:36 PDT 2007

Jim,
  I'm glad you took my comments in the spirit intended, i.e., a compliment to you.
  Many instrumentalists, particularly in the OKOM genre like to sing solo or as a group and most audiences enjoy the fun of it all.  I think there are many manifestations of bad voices which, when mixed with musical virtuosity, result in a good time being had by all.  Louis comes to mind - hardly a Boccelli, but entertaining for sure.  It always has intrigued me that Jack Teagarden was credited with an exceptional voice. I could never quite see that, but he did put a song over well. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to assess the best OKOM singers who were also excellent players.  Teagarden would have my vote among bone men.
  Regards,
  Pat

  Jim Kashishian <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:

........in reference to a comment made earlier by Pat:
> You are a terrific entertainer, but not an overly-gifted
> singer.................

Bill wrote:
Dear Jim, With mates (now ex?) like that, who needs enemies?

Yeah, I know! That was my first reaction upon reading Pat's comments! :>
However, you do realize he was commenting on my earlier comments, where I
myself said I don't have a great voice, so no harm done. And, since I know
Pat personally, I also know he was saying that a bit tongue in cheek.

He then went on to say: " - and then there's the feel, the synthesis of
beat, lyric and melody that makes it work or not. With you it works."
Best regards, Pat

Now, that's a compliment! Pour 'em on! Seriously, though, with the
trombone I know darn well where I stand & what I can do. It's the singing
that remains always a doubt, not having had any training, etc. I can see on
people's faces they're enjoying the vocals, but do relish the odd compliment
on the singing to back up my doubts. The guys in the band never say boo to
me about it...probably afraid it would drive me to sing even more! :>

Jim