[Dixielandjazz] John Coltrane, Giant Steps, & AJB

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:20:41 PDT 2007

I've had the misfortune (great, I should add) of listening to it. Why
subject others to the same?  While listening with one's own years is
highly laudable, why not warn people they might suffer?
Many years ago, a very close friend of mine attended the North Sea
Jazz Festival, and went to hear a group named "Satchmo's Legacy,"
certainly an enticing name.  She left with disgust.  When she told me
about it, I asked: "What did you expect from a band under the
leadership of Freddie Hubbard," and the reply was: "how could I know
Freddie Hubbard?"  She was simply too young - in her twenties at the
time.  So warning people has some value.
>From my experience, Coltrane's "music" is not worthy of listening.
Personally, I try to avoid any exposure thereto, even if, in some
cases, it is tolerable (but not more).
Cheers