[Dixielandjazz] Advertising -- Larry's thoughts

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri May 25 08:01:12 PDT 2007

Just an "Amen" to what you are saying David.  Can't point the list  toward a
specific poll.  But I have read of surveys done of festival  audiences.  I
particularly remember one done at a Bluegrass Festival.   Anyhow they were trying
to find out why audiences were more attracted to one  group than another.
Turned out the number one preference was groups who  did entertaining vocals.
We don't see ANY instrumental stars on  American Idol (such as we might once
have seen on Ed Sullivan, Amateur Hour,  etc.)  Whether we are trying to attract
young or old I think the groups  that are most successful are offering up a
vocal every number or two especially  if it's a concert gig.  When playing for
dances probably not as frequently  essential.  And when playing wallpaper
music to be part of the ambiance,  the host probably doesn't want any vocals.  And
that itself is the  message; i.e., vocals get and hold attention.  And how
lucky we are to be  doing jazz where the "beauty" of the voice is secondary to
styling, phrasing,  attitude, drama.
Ginny

In a message dated 5/25/2007 7:31:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,