[Dixielandjazz] Vale Mike Sutcliffe

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 19 20:36:38 PDT 2007

Dear friends,
It is with great sadness that I have to advise that my dear friend,
jazz researcher Mike Sutcliffe died, peacefully in his sleep, yesterday
afternoon, Saturday 19th May 2007, aged 69.
Mike had been diagnosed with terminal asbestosis last September, the
result of his occupation as a builder and life-long exposure to
asbestos-based building materials. Unfortunately it took hold all too
quickly.
A quiet, retiring man, Mike was a Sydney jazz backroom boy who, over 40
years, contributed more than most to Australian jazz and whose name is
included the acknowledgment lists in dozens of international jazz,
books, discographies, journals and magazines.
Mike founded and published the extremely important Australian Record
and Music Review in April 1989, but ill-health forced its cessation at
issue No. 72 in January this year
Mike has had a long association with the National Film & Sound Archive,
the NSW Mitchell Library, the NSW and Victorian Jazz Archives and other
similar institutions.
Following a private family cremation, a Thanksgiving Service will be
held at St Andrews Presbyterian Church, McKern Street, Wentworthville,
NSW at 11.00 am. Tuesday, 22nd May 2007.
Mike will be sorely missed by his many friends and by jazz in general.
Kind regards,
Bill.