[Dixielandjazz] Giant Steps & AJB

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat May 19 16:08:36 PDT 2007

Sheik (dwlit at cpcug.org) wrote:

> A couple of folks have send me AJB's "Giant steps". Sounds like it might
> be a worthy tune, but as far as I know I've never heard the original.
> Gotta listen a few more times...

Hey Sheik. To hear the original Giant Steps go to:

http://www.johncoltrane.com/swf/main.htm

Click on "A love Supreme" on the upper left and a list of songs Trane made
famous among his fans songs will appear. The 2nd song is Giant Steps. Click
it, listen and you'll know why few Dixieland Bands attempt it.

On the other hand, General Audiences will relate to almost any song, be it
The Saints", or "St Thomas", or "Sister Sadie" as long as they are played by
a competent band with fire and energy and the players relate to the
audience. All the song needs is a semblance of a melody, and a swinging band
to get them going.

St Thomas is one of our most appreciated numbers by general audiences. It is
the happiest of music and gets people swaying right away.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone