[Dixielandjazz] "Giant Steps" (was Obscure Songs - What the Audience relates to, or not.)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 19 14:38:30 PDT 2007

> A couple of folks have send me AJB's "Giant steps". Sounds like it
> might
> be a worthy tune, but as far as I know I've never heard the original.
> Gotta listen a few more times...

Dear Sheik,
Many, many years ago when I first acquired the Anachronic Jazz Band LP
with "Giant Steps" I was completely knocked out by the King Oliver
Creole Jazz Band-inspired rendition of Coltrane's composition.
I have since bought the CD set and still love and play the "Giant
Steps" track for its driving cheekiness and enthusiasm.
Like you, I had never heard the original, so borrowed the 1959 Atlantic
LP from my mate, clarinetist John McCarthy, and almost immediately
returned it.
What a let down (for me). Very uninspiring to my mouldy ole ears.
Definitely not MKOM
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Our little band (thanks to the Anachronic mob) has for some years
played Parker's "Yardbird Suite".
Now there's a great OKOM tune!