[Dixielandjazz] Bob Newhart

Margaret Squires saxymargeaux at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 19 00:45:30 PDT 2007

We had a great time this evening!  The venue was sold out...had been for two weeks.  Our set was kick-@$#!  Bob was funnier than heck.  And was so gracious in signing autographs and having his picture taken with us after the gig.  It was his manager that was attempting to herd us out of the green room.  But indulged us in our quest for autographs and photos.

  One of our vocalists was Marilyn Borden, one half of the Borden Twins.  She was Teensy of Teensy and Weensy on an episode of Lucile Ball Show.

  The tunes we had to play for him were VERY simple. Two tunes "play on" and "play off".  Each was a theme from one of his shows.  About 32 bars each.  We were on stage behind him during his monologue.  I wish all gigs were that easy!

  Margaret