[Dixielandjazz] Authentic 1920s gangster music...or not?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri May 18 15:38:49 PDT 2007

Perhaps you're right, David, but that only goes for the aging and
dwindling portion of OKOM audience.  Moreover, it bores musicians,
which is reflected in quality of playing.
Younger audiences do not know the standard "Dixieland" repertoir, so
to them "Royal Garden Blues" or "Feeling no Pain" are just music.  If
anything, bands need arrangements of current popular tunes, things
traditional and swing bands played in their hey day.  The World's
Greatest Jazz Band did that from time to time, trad bands play the
Flinstones theme, Billy Maxted did it in the 1950's.  This is what
keeps excitement in our music.  Otherwise it becomes stale.  I am not
saying that bands should play only obscure or new songs, but they
certainly should mix them with the standards (in order not to lose the
older segment of the audience).
Cheers