[Dixielandjazz] semi roaring twenties song

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu May 17 08:44:35 PDT 2007

This is one of the tunes I learned from the radio, because Barbara
Streisand had a hit record of it. Old(er) audiences well might recognize
it. I wouldn't do it unless we had a vocalist.

One can compile a long list of 20s-early 30s tunes revived in the
50s-early 60s by rock'n'rollers. Not necessarily hit singles, but a goodly
number of LPs. Bobby Darin recorded "There ain't no sweet man (gal) worth
the salt of my tears"; my copy of the sheet music has his picture on it!

The Broadway show "Ain't misbehavin" is revived regularly, and some of its
tunes--especially the title tune--are often picked up by younger female
vocalists.

I remember the time in the latter 80s I came home from a gig to find my
son whistling "Puttin' on the ritz"--where the hell did he pick that up?
It was a hit, I think by Taco. A ripoff of Louis Prima's "Just a gigolo/I
ain't got nobody" made it to the top-40 in roughly that same period.

So look up your favorite tunes in the Worlds Records database. You'll
often have to wade through entries by revivalist OKOM bands, but many of
the above-mentioned albums are being reissued.

--Sheik
http://americanmusiccaravan.com