[Dixielandjazz] What general audiences expect (IMO)

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Thu May 17 05:56:53 PDT 2007

Ah, Skip the Gutter and Two Deuces.  These are great tunes recorded by Louis
Armstrong.  If you like the music and start searching for the artists who
played it and their recordings, you will start to find these kinds of tunes.
Should they be played for the general public?  Absolutely.  Should the
program be all obscure tunes?  Absolutely NOT.   I was in College when I
first got to hear early Louis Armstrong recordings.  It was a revelation.
It was not until 4 or so years later that I was able to hear a live band do
the same tunes (and other obscure items).  In some cases I did not remember
that I'd heard the original recordings and was pleasantly surprised to
discover that I had them in my library at a later date. The band I like the
most is the New Black Eagles.  Often I like the way they play some of the
tunes I first heard on early recordings even more than I like the early
recordings.   Sweetie Dear is a good example.

Ron L