[Dixielandjazz] Band advertising / Getting the Young Interested

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 08:38:19 PDT 2007

Steve, I would add one more Item to your no cost ad list.

MYSPACE.COM!

It's free, you can upload up to four songs for audio, it has an upcoming gigs calendar and a bulletin feature that automatically sends e-mails on upcoming gigs to everyone who is listed as "your friend." And best of all, young people go to myspace to find new music.

Here are some examples of trad bands on myspace. No surprise that these are younger musicians who have found this service to be useful. These are just the pages I have found. There might be many more out there.

http://www.myspace.com/briaskonberg  - Bria Skonberg's site

http://www.myspace.com/majb  - Mighty Aphrodite Jazz Band

http://www.myspace.com/jurzaksgigs - Jason Jurzak, bass/tuba with Blue Street Jazz Band

http://www.myspace.com/mattybottel - Matt Bottel, banjo for Blue Street

http://www.myspace.com/leroyjonesmusic - Leroy Jones, New Orleans trumpeter

and finally, my own myspaces...

http://www.myspace.com/trpguydlivingston - Dave Livingston, trumpeter and webmaster of Dixieland Gumbo Internet Radio Station.

http://www.myspace.com/rewindpartyband - Dave's Classic Rock Band

A good way to find more sites is to go to a site and click on the various "friends" that people have collected.

(NOTE 1: turn the volume down on your speakers. Some sites have music  that automatically starts and might be loud and/or annoying.)

(NOTE 2: If you are a band and decide to make a myspace page, make sure you use the artist signup option.)

I hope this helps,

Dave Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo Radio
http://www.dixielandgumbo.com

Steve Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote: Glad to see some serious discussion about attracting the young, and/or how
to advertise your band. Here is my 2 cents after 10 years of marketing my
band successfully:

Yes, your band can advertise its gigs at no cost.

1) Simply sign up your fans on email and sent them your schedule and/or list
   of interesting gigs. (my list now has 700+ people on it after 10 years)

2) Get free listings in your local paper of where you are appearing.

3) Get free articles about your band in the local newspapers.

4) Get TV coverage of your interesting gigs.

ETC., etc., etc.

While I normally believe there is always more than one way to accomplish a
goal,  Bill Sargent may be right that there is only one way to attract a
younger following, Simply stated it is: PLAY WHERE THE KIDS ARE.

And yes, Mike, there are bands who have planned to increase the audience for
Dixieland by attracting the young. Barbone Street's marketing plan with the
goal of doing just that, has been in place about 10 years now. And we are
achieving our goal every year.

Proof? Check my schedule at: http://www.barbonestreet.com/schedule.html

But wait 15 minutes before you go there because I have to add 4 more gigs
booked last night.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone