[Dixielandjazz] Sounding authentic - -the 20's

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Tue May 15 08:39:43 PDT 2007

This from a recent DJML posting:

**********************
ALOHArose at aol.com wrote:

  In a message dated 5/14/07 10:46:04 AM,Bob Ringwald writes:

> It has been so many years since the "Roaring 20s" that none of the
> songs
> have to be authentic 1920. They just have to sound like they are.
>
> --Bob Ringwald
(snip)

YOU CANT MEAN THAT!!!   What a specious assessment/dumbed down idea.
Your
comment provides only a hairbreath distinction between authentic and
'sounds
like'.
(snip)
**************************************

Boy am I glad that you "nailed" Ringwald on this  matter.    He
absolutely has no authority on the mater and does not not know what
he's talking about.  Just plain old Ringwald baloney . . .hoooey . .
.nonsense. Ignore him  . . . .he just loves to tirade nonsensibly . . .
.and is ready for the home . . .

YEAH, RIGHT!! ! !  Now everything I  just stated  above definitely
consists of nothing but specious dumbed-down notions.  Nothing but pure
unadulterated crap and malarkey! ! !

  O.K. HERE'S THE REAL DEAL :  B.R.  does know exactly what he's talking
about because he's "been there, done that",  having played nearly every
kind of job imaginable, including many of those with Roaring 20's
themes.

I too have played several of them, and take exactly the approach Bob
mentioned, and people who hire us think we were  "the real deal"and
have been quite happy.    In today's market, which is getting close to
being 100 years after the Roaring 20's, not many people are around to
bicker about what tunes you play to represent the 20s. as long as it's
in the "Roaring" style.  Part of the success is to just play tunes they
don't recognize, so they don't know what decade, within 20-40 years of
the 1920's the tunes came from,  but play them to sound "happy, gay(in
the musical sense and, as stated before, roaring".

It's kind of like the way that modern furniture is built, using
laminates to represent the "real thing", we can use a few musical
"laminates' to sell our product, also in the manner that bald men use
toupees to "sell their product" . . . .