[Dixielandjazz] Killer Musical Instruments was fights at concerts

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon May 14 10:39:17 PDT 2007

There was a club in West St. Louis County which during the 20's was out in
the woods and pretty remote to the city.  I played there in the 60-70's
occasionally.  The name had changed several times and I don't know what the
original was.  It's long gone due to urban re development but the way it was
built was something else.

It was sort of like a WWII Quonset hut with a cupola on the top that housed
a 30 cal machine gun. (long removed by the 60's).  To approach the place you
drove up a winding "S" shaped drive like the switch backs in the mountains.
The front door let you into a small area where the doorman sat before you
could go to the main left and right rooms.  The original buzzers and light
flashers were still there that signaled the bars.

Another unique thing was the armor in the building and the extremely ornate
doors that opened into the two main rooms.  The doors were 1" bullet proof
glass and the scroll work was 1/2" x 1 1/2" steel.  There was no way to get
through them quickly if they were closed.  I was told that there was steel
plate in the walls of the place.  The Bar had a liquor dump where they could
dump the evidence down the sewer.

A couple of times I played there they had a trio dressed in 1920's style
cloths playing 20's music. I remember that the piano player wore a pin
striped, double breasted pinch back suit and a fedora hat.  I think I
remember him because he wore spats too.  We did some wedding receptions
there.

This club was so cool and unique I can't believe that it was bulldozed..  I
could see where it wasn't large enough to be a money maker but would be a
very cool museum today.  I don't know if any of the old speaks are even in
existence today especially one like this.

It was located, as I recall, on Olive Street Road just West of the present
Highway 270.  There have been so many changes to that area that I wouldn't
be able to find where it was today.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever been to this place?
Larry
St. Louis