[Dixielandjazz] Is this typical?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 07:52:14 PDT 2007

A sad story from one of the local Jazz Society e-mails, about their monthly
concert, this one in a church venue for Mothers Day. (Reminds me of the last
time they presented Tony DiNicola and Kenny Davern together with a monster
quintet and drew about 110 people)

Good example of why OKOM needs an infusion of youth in all phases of the
genre.

-----start snip

Hi ---- MEMBERS:

This is to those that missed the best concert of the year in any music
venue!!! You missed out on a great climax!!

Dan Levinson got down on his knees before the last tune and asked Molly Ryan
to marry him. She said yes, but was speechless for a long time afterward.

The music was great, the root beer was plentiful and received well, the
venue had many good remarks made, the CD sales went well, but of 75 there,
about 25 were TSJS members. Luckily we have some members that "subsidized"
the concert with funds, food for the band, ads in the papers, and such. That
is only 10 % of our members, which total is an all time low since 1995. We
had a band made of 8 band leaders.

------ end snip

Who was in this band that drew only 75 people, 25 of whom were from the jazz
society?

Dan Levinson, leader/reeds; Randy Reinhart, trumpet; David Sager, trombone;
Mark Shane, piano; Vince Giordano, guitar/banjo/bass saxophone; Brian
Nalepka, bass; Kevin Dorn, drums, Molly Ryan, vocals.

WHAT A GREAT PITY THEY THERE WERE ONLY 75 PEOPLE IN THE PHILADELPHIA AREA
SUPPORTING THE MUSIC OF THIS GREAT BAND. AND ONLY 25 FROM THE JAZZ SOCIETY
WHO WOULD TRAVEL TO A DIFFERENT VENUE, JUST A SHORT DISTANCE FROM THEIR
USUAL AMERICAN LEGION HALL. For those who think the metro area that I
operate in is a gold mine, think again. I'll bet Dan's band would draw more
people than that in any town in the boonies you can think of.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone