[Dixielandjazz] Children's Jazz Books

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 13 18:48:53 PDT 2007

> Jerry Gordon <jerrygordon at juno.com> wrote

> From today's NYTimes Book Review: http://tinyurl.com/26lmqf
>
> (Did I get to quote the NYTimes before Steve? He must be sleeping in from
> a late gig last night.)

You beat me to it Jerry. The bottom line, (last paragraph for those who
cannot get access to the NY Times) below sounds a familiar theme.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

³'Miles the Crocodile Plays the Colors of Jazz' and 'Ella Elephant Scats
Like That,' two new candy-colored books in the old mold, come with great
original CDs by young New York musicians that introduce the sounds and
instruments of jazz (other books in the series include ³Duck Ellington
Swings Through the Zoo,² etc.). But here it¹s the songs and not the books
that do the trick. If you want your children to learn about jazz, put on
some music and look at some photographs of the greats with their gleaming
instruments. Or load up that amazing library called YouTube and watch Billie
Holiday singing to Lester Young, or Bird and Diz in their only television
appearance. And save the books for later."

See  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNSp7MaADM>  for that Billie/Lester et
al song "Fine & Mellow". Done when she was ill and slowly dying. The solos
and vocal have more feeling in them than any book a kid will ever read. What
a great lineup including (NOTED FOR YOU MIKE), Vic Dickenson, though he
doesn't solo.