[Dixielandjazz] The D.C. Showcases

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 13 06:51:17 PDT 2007

Judie wrote: (about the Wash D.C. Showcase with the Californians)

>Actually it turned out rather well and it started as a fun thing. Corey and
>John where going to be in the area where Larry Wright lives. Old friend all
>three and they wanted something fun to do. The music scene in the DC area is
>not all that good. No one wants to pay anything for it. The Jazz Club got
>behind this and it brought what some said was a "different feel" for the
>members that  they don't usually get in the area. They made enough to pay the
>guys and all had  a great time.

I heard they had an audience of about 100 people which they claimed as a
"great" success. :-) VBG

Actually, the music scene in Baltimore/Wash D.C. is pretty good, among the
professionals, that is. The music scene that is not so god is that among the
amateurs, and/or one eyed traddies who insist upon lifeless performances of
warmed over pop music from the 20-30s.

I sub occasionally in that area to help out the "working" musicians when
they run short. Even though they hate to hire "older" musicians because they
claim the clients don't relate to old men playing. I get away with it
because I relate to younger audiences, and others my age don't.

The Potomac River Jazz Club is going through the pain of lack of funds due
to declining membership, just like most other jazz social clubs in the USA.
So they are trying different things in order to keep operating. Like show
cases, low cost jam sessions, etc.

But the main problem is simply that they have not figured out how to get a
broader, younger audience interested in attending. One of the reasons is
basic. In order to appease their membership base, they hire "trad" bands of
the older Dixieland styles. Thus they keep the old folks happy. Bands that
appeal to the young are simply not hired by the PRJC. Nor are the young
courted in any way.

In doing the math, that older happy base is dying off and so are the jazz
clubs. Soon they will be appeasing no one.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone