[Dixielandjazz] Jammin with Ed Wise at Univ of Pennsylvania

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 9 19:02:22 PDT 2007

Just got back from the Senior Class reception at the University of
Pennsylvania. beautiful venue in the garden behind the Univ President's
House. Set up as a New Orleans Mardi Gras Party, complete with Po Boys, Red
Beans & Rice and other such N.O. Treats. 2000 about to graduate attended.

It was really fun having Ms. Cindy Leiby on trombone. Solid swinger, big
sound, nice gal in her 30's. She really gets into the music and its
excitement. Top player. She got a huge kick out of how we old boys ogled and
interacted with the girls. Some stunners there, all incredibly intelligent.
Booked Cindy for several more high energy gigs we have coming up.

For the New Orleans list members, Ed Wise fell by and sat in on a few tunes.
For those who don't know him, Ed is one of the New Orleans musicians who
relocated to Philadelphia after Katrina wrecked that city and his home. He
is a solid double bass player and leads a jazz band comprised of U of P
students, as well as his own Dixieland Band called Ed Wise and His New
Orleans Jazz Band. Nice man.

It was especially poignant to hear him sing "Do You Know What It Means to
Miss New Orleans," because he knows first hand.

We couldn't throw beads because the University was fearful that the students
would flash and get their pictures in the Philadelphia Inquirer. So we
handed them out as did the stilt walkers.

Bottom line? The U of P class of 2007 loves this music.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone