[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP & The Black Songwriters

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Tue May 8 15:18:12 PDT 2007

Hello all
Re. re Jelly's ongoing battles with ASCAP,and many others, what must be the
definitive account is given in "Oh, Mister Jelly".

This magnificent book , which Bill Russell was responsible for, contains a
multiplicity of different facets of Jelly and his life.A large proportion of
the information is covered in correspondence between Jelly and Roy Carew,his
good friend and business advisor for many years. There are many interesting
facets of Jelly's life, his music, and his fortunes/misfortunes covered by
many musicians who knew him well.

I cannot recall where I obtained the book, possibly from George Buck, but
anybody with lots of patience, and a few bucks, who is interested not only
in Jelly but also is the broader aspects of his time and the music industry
should try to get access to a copy.

A word of warning, the book has in excess of 700 pages and weighs a ton,
printed on high quality stock. I found it to be a book that I could read for
a while, put it aside and return later without losing track of the
continuity. The only downside is the cost, approx $100 US but to me worth
every cent.

For anybody interested the number to order the book is ISBN87-88043-26-6.
Treat yourself to it and leave it in your will to another aficionado who wil
then remember you for ever!!

Glen