[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: John Cage!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue May 8 10:14:55 PDT 2007

Gunter asked:
>The nub is "what is the difference between this form of 'contemporary'"
music and 'sound effects'?"

It was written down on musical staff paper!   :>

Sound effects are usually "assigned" to a visual effect & are used to
support that effect.  I gather (I only do the work, remember!) that the
contemporary composer comes up with these ideas in his or her head, writes
them down, and then wishes for them to be repeated by the "performer"...in
this case, myself, who used the technology to get the sounds in the places
the composer desired.

Anyway, I offered that up as an example of what can be done, and of what I
have done, as a curiousity.  It was fun to do, as I had to use my tech head
& talent to make it happen.  I don't really worry about whether it is in
music or not.  Most of the works are done using very accomplished musicians
& vocalists.

My main statement had nothing to do with your question, Bill.  I just said
that I have found the people involved in what is called Contemporary music
to be extremely serious and intense about what they are doing. Is what they
are doing music?  Dunno.

I tend to only work with people in my studio that I enjoy working with, and
I do enjoy the people involved in this form of whatever they choose to call
it.

I did, by the way, feel the Cage tv thing a bit "far out".  I'd probably
prefer a washboard being played over that bit he did...as long as the
washboard player was in the next room.
;>

Jim