[Dixielandjazz] FW: John Cage!

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 09:41:15 PDT 2007

Hi Jim (and all):

You wrote (regarding the recording of "contemporary" music):

>I have actually put together compositions on my digital editor, by
>recording
>in the bits & pieces required, then following the score...which indicated
>by
>the seconds, minutes, and even part of seconds, when each item should
>sound....placing that particular sound into the "musical lineup".  Echoes,
>different levels (volume), distancing the sound by overuse of reverb, etc.,
>all came into play. I believe I received some sort of credit on the CD as
>having "performed" the pieces electronically.
>
>A lot of what we did was done with proper musical instruments or voices,
>though, and those performing were trained musicians & singers.  Some also
>included breaking of glass, murmuring in the background, screeching,
>crashing sounds, church bells, strange banging on the piano keyboard &
>other
>parts of the piano, etc.  However, it was all done following a score (which
>normally includes proper musical notes, plus maybe drawings of the various
>sounds which need to occur at specific moments).

You have caught my interest with this!

Suppose you were the "sound effects" man at a motion picture studia in
charge of inserting appropriate noises at specific times during the film
(door slams, footsteps, etc.).  How is that any different than what you have
described above in the production of "contemporary" music?

Could it be argued that you were basically a "sound effects" man?  Could it
be argued that the guy in the movie studio inserting noises was basically a
"musician?"

The nub is "what is the difference between this form of 'contemporary'"
music and 'sound effects'?"

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Knock bang beep-beep flick boom chucky-yucky-yuck whirrr tick-tick
boing, buzz, thud" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - And there are those who doubt the musicality of the washboard!  Go
figure!