[Dixielandjazz] re. Lil Hardin Armstrong

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Mon May 7 08:14:23 PDT 2007

Mark Weber wrote:
< ... The book LOUIS ARMSTRONG & PAUL WHITEMAN by Joshua
Barrett (2004)  has some very plausible and interesting ideas
as to Lil's influence on Louis's thinking in the Chicago days.
For instance,  she was studying classical music and there are cited
instances where Louis's music evolution at this time had elements that did
not derive from New Orleans jazz ...>

Hello, Mark, Steve, and others,

So far, I see what we canNOT assert about Lil, but what CAN we assert?

For example...

Did Louis leave King Oliver¹s band because Lil pressured him to?

Is it fact or fiction that Lil used to listen to Louis improvise as he
casually whistled a tune, and one day asked him why he couldn¹t do the same
kind of improv on the trumpet? (I read this in an interview about Lil.)

Just wondering,
Nancy