[Dixielandjazz] practical band uniforms

Loerchen2 at aol.com Loerchen2 at aol.com
Sun May 6 11:28:46 PDT 2007

The typical New Orleans jazz musician still wears a white shirt and black
pants -- one reason for this seems to be so a guy can run from one gig to
another and always be dressed correctly.  I frequently see musicians come  straight
from playing a wedding/festival/street job and take the stand at a bar  or
restaurant.  ]

Last night, we were having a street party after Jazz Fest, in the art
gallery district, with lots of different musicians set up on every block.   I was
hanging with three friends who were playing in front of a  gallery opposite St.
Pat's church, where a wedding was in progress.   At one point, a snare drummer
and trumpeter showed up and came up to the band,  shook hands all around.
After about 15 minutes of chat, the new arrivals  said in puzzlement, "Say, are
we playing with you?  It's almost time for  the wedding party to come out."
Nope, totally different gig.  But if  they had put the two bands together, no
one would have noticed!

Sue