[Dixielandjazz] Struttin' With Some BBQ (was ANAT COHEN - YOUNG + FEMALE + OKOM PLAYER)

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun May 6 10:44:30 PDT 2007

It was my great good fortune to know Lil. she had the off night band at
Jazz Ltd. in chicago when I was onthe turmpet chair there with the
regular band for five years. Lil had a summer place on Idlewild Lake
about five miles from where I live in Baldwin, MI -- an unique resort
community of African-Americans (bearing absolutely no connection with
the recent film Idlewild.). She often invited Jean and I to have dinner
with her when she was there in Summer. According to what she told me,
she did indeed claim credit for Struttin'. the confusion arose because
the record label only said L. Armstrong and it was assumed that that
meant louis. But it was Lillian in fact.
She wrote one of the great "torch-style"  songs, recorded by many
including Nancy Wilson, "Just for a Thrill" and many other songs  most
folks do not know about.
I have some photos I took of her in Chicago that show her warm and easy
smile and good humor. She was a class act as a player, and a lovely lady
with an easy to know manner.
As far as I can add -- it came from her own lips that she wrote
Struttin' and that's good enough for me!
Don Ingle