[Dixielandjazz] New Ben Pollack CD (was Golden Gate Orchestra)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri May 4 17:42:11 PDT 2007

Dear Hans,
On a similar subject to that raised by you, have you seen or purchased
the new 'Ben Pollack and His Orchestra 1933-1935 CD' (Sterling STCD
2-27-07)?
I sometimes wonder why record producers insist on fixing things that
aren't broken!
This fine new CD reissue of rare material (with notes by Mr Joe
Showler, one of our preeminent discographers) is currently being hyped
as "Packed in new oversize durable plastic slim case."
Which simply means that the CD is contained within a 190 x 135 mm DVD
box.
My first reaction was that at last we will have a better sized booklet.
But not so, the double-fold 4 page insert is a smaller 165 by 113 mm,
with the personnel and session dates on the back page.
The tune listing (without composer credits or track times), repeated
session dates (with one conflicting error) and two small pics are on
the back insert.
How are we to store this 'oversize' box next to the other Ben Pollack
CDs in the collection?
I hope that this new CD packaging innovation is the last attempt at
"reinventing the wheel."
And let's not talk about the Charlie Christian boxed set from Columbia
'Legacy'.
Or the graphic designers who love to use blue or black type on dark red
stock for CD booklets/inserts.
There now, I too feel much better.
Kind regards,
Bill.