[Dixielandjazz] Beginning clarinet

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 13:01:14 PDT 2007

I started playing clarinet at age 9 and my comments will echo much of what
has appeared on the list with one exception.  I was fortunate enough to be
able to participate in good school music programs as well as having private
lessons for a period of a few years, playing a repertoire of  both typical school
band and classical orchestra music.   All of that must take priority.  But the
one thing that separated me  from far better technical players when I reached
college was the fact  that I had played along for years with records.  My
folks were huge Pete  Fountain fans and every chance I got, beyond practice time,
I played along with  his recordings as well as those of Benny Goodman, Louis
Jordan---anything we had  around the house.

When I started playing with trad groups in college in the late 60's (there
were still a lot of them around then) I was one of the few---in fact the
only---clarinetist who could walk onto a stage and play by ear.  None of  these
groups used any charts---call a tune, call a key and go--so the  technically
superior music majors, who hadn't grown up with this music couldn't  play a lick
of it.

You can't give up the basic grounding for the other, but hearing, and
playing along with, the great players of the past (Goodman, Shaw, Edmond Hall),
near past (Davern), and present (Wilbur, Peplowski) etc. from time to time,  is
invaluable too.  Finding the balance between the two is the  trick

Virtually any time I play in front of a new crowd there is invariably
someone who starts up a conversation with me by saying, "I played the clarinet  in
high school.".  But that's where it ended for most of them.

Developing the skills is absolutely critical.  But I think  finding the fun
ways to apply them is almost as  important.  (Remind your son that Benny
Goodman, until the  end of his life, practiced every day).  I wasn't the best
clarinet player  around but I always loved playing.  And so I continue to, 48  years
later.

Hopefully your son will find the same joy in the music.

K.C. Clarinet