[Dixielandjazz] Tony Scott

Butch Thompson butte1 at mac.com
Sat Mar 31 08:24:25 PDT 2007

I saw Tony once, about 20 years ago, when he dropped into the Pizza Express
in London.  Warren Vache Jr. was playing that night, and Bob Wilber happened
to be in the audience, like me.  Of course Tony sat in.  He and Vache got
into a fairly hilarious exchange -- maybe it was fours, maybe eights, maybe
some combination of those; I don't remember exactly.  What I remember very
clearly is that Tony made some extraordinary sounds on the clarinet, very
loud and on indeterminate pitches.  It was effective; the audience was
riveted, or maybe pole-axed is a more accurate term.

Butch Thompson