[Dixielandjazz] Kelly, Perciful, and Corky

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sun Mar 25 18:32:37 PDT 2007

Richard -- Welcome to the Tacoma Swings gang.    Were you in the Air Force
band with Jim Butler, the world's greatest trombone man?    He was stationed
at McChord also and is on this mailing list.    Hi there, Jimbo.

When you were there Tacoma Music was probably up on the hill about 11th or
so.    In our 30's era George had a big store down on Pacific Avenue with
music studios in the back where we used to jam.     We'd walk right down
Stadium Way to George's.    He loved it so did we.    It was a place for
rehearsals as well as jamming.    Corky would always be there, and always
with good rhythm guys.

You know Kelly had to close his Tacoma place because his wife died and he
failed in health.   As far as I know Perciful is still going.   There's a
lot more to talk about that activity with good modern musicians there right
now.

Bob