[Dixielandjazz] Kelly, Perciful, and Corky

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Sun Mar 25 14:56:48 PDT 2007

Thanks for the fascinating response, Don.    It's great to talk to you about
those guys.   You're right about Corky and his love for baseball as well as
the tenor.    I knew Corky very well in our high school days in Tacoma.   He
went to Lincoln and I went to Stadium at the same time, 1939 and 1940, but
to be honest with you, Corky didn't spend much time in school.   At age 15
he was already the best jazz tenor in Tacoma and was playing constantly.
Almost every day after school we'd walk down to George Greenwood's Tacoma
Music Store to jam with Corky and some older musicians.    Corky used to
work out with the Tacoma Tigers, a pro bushleague team, and was already
known as "that Corcoran kid."    A couple of years later James picked him up
from Sonny Dunham's band, not only because he was a helluva tenor man, but
also because he was a damned good shortstop.

I've had some experience with Kelly and Perciful and Corky but this is
getting too long.    Thanks for your great reminiscing, Don, let's hear
more.

Bob Newman