[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 25 11:17:24 PDT 2007

My two cents:
Hal Vickey wrote:<snipped>
The solo that Dorsey had transcribed was on "Marie."  I heard the Tommy
Dorsey band (led by Buddy Morrow) several years ago, and they were still
playing that solo as transcribed for the trumpet section.
====================
T.D. recorded both Marie and Song Of India with Bunny Berigan solos transcribed
for the full [4 trumpets] section. I chased all over NYC and eventually got the
recordings from "Golden Books", a children's book publisher, on 45 RPM disks.
The receptionist was so taken by my desire to own them, she handed the two
recordings to me as a gift. Now if I can only find them.
=====================
A ghost story, perhaps. While working for Sy Oliver - about 1950 - 51
We did a recording date with T.D. A tall mustached trumpet player from
the mid-west played 2nd trpt and the solos. He looked VERY much like
Bunny and sounded like him to boot. I never did get his name. I never
saw him, ever, again.
Charlie Shavers was there and he kept staring at the soloist in awe!
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com