[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan

rorel at aol.com rorel at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 04:27:06 PDT 2007

  Earlier in this thread mention was made on more than occasion of the "few sides" Berigan made with his own big band. I count well over one hundred sides made in 1936-38 alone, not counting airchecks and small-group titles. Without a doubt, he was one of the most prolific of the 'big name' jazz men -- in general, not with his own band. Red Nichols, I would think, also qualifies. See: http://user.tninet.se/~npt755v/crondisc.htm for more on Berigan's recordings.

 What I love so much about Berigans playing is his exploitation of the entire range of the trumpet. One of my favorites among his recordings is "Trees" where he goes from G (+/-) below middle C to G (+/-) above high C in a handful of bars, without sounding contrived or gimmicky. As matter of fact, it may be among the most soulful renderings of the song ever recorded.

 Buying a box of arrangements sight-unseen on the internet, imagine my delight and surprise when sitting between two charts was a little page from an autograph album with Berigan's signature! I love these little links to our jazz past. It kind of shrinks down time.

 Ray Osnato