[Dixielandjazz] OKOM and Kenny G overdubbing -copyrights

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Mar 24 15:45:23 PDT 2007

While not an OKOM example, the estate of the late Frank Zappa keeps a
very strong guard on permissions for performances of his music - not
an easy thing to do! Gail Zappa (Frank's wife) has been known to come
down hard on "illegal performances" and "interpretations" of his
works - not just recordings! ASCAP has sent very heavy duty letters
to venues warning against performances of Zappa's music without
proper, specific authorization (and substantial fees paid.)

This does not make the other musicians who played for Frank Zappa
very happy as there are quite a lot of bands they are in on tour that
play his music, some with (and some without) permission...

Dave Richoux
(search on "Gail Zappa Ascap" for more on this.)