[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Mar 24 13:44:42 PDT 2007

Mike;

Berigan started his own band after this film was made around 1937 after a
stint with Benny Goodman and, then, Tommy Dorsey. His first big hit was "I
Can't Get Started". Not being a good businessman and drinking too much for
his own good, the band folded. Dorsey took him back and they made a few
records. Bunny reformed his band again, made a couple a recordings in which
the decline of his chops due to alcohol was quite, and died in 1942.

Dorsey later had his arrangers transcribe one of Bunny's solos for his
entire trumpet section.

Stan
Stan Brager