[Dixielandjazz] Copyright royalty Decision What's wrong with it ? And Why !

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 18:03:12 PDT 2007

Copyright Royalty Board DecisionHello all. Attached is some recent
legislation
that will hopefully help musicians collect royalties. It is rather long
but does
have a sample letter if you care to respond through your legislators.
Have a happy summer.

Dave Hanson

Hi  Dave &  folks:

Let us not be quick to drop this thread:

This is yet another scheme to collect monies for only certain musicians
  almost none of whom are on this list and again almost none of whom are
even members of the AFofM nor wish to be for many diverse reasons.
Should the AFof M members that actually recorded and performed on these
recordings being aired be entitle to earn royalty compensation form
them you bet.  Will they ever? highly unlikely once again.   The days
of HOPEFULLY as stated in the letter form the AFofM to Dave  pretty
much sums it up.  There is a major independent artists movement and
revolution well underway against all of the big powers that be in the
recording industry and it is far from over.   If we who play Jazz ever
want to see this genre get back any of it's long given away and stolen
respect we need to pay more attention to the fine print and less to the
hype of the Press releases telling us to Trust them.

I am going to make this post about it from a well informed and
practical  opinionated viewpoint  because i am actually very very busy
working the International promotion of a major record release as we
speak and dealing with Internet Stations and Mainstream radio stations
as well day and night.   And I am not talking about illegal downloading
operations here either or people stealing music, I am speaking of
upright and honest operators that have a great and valuable service
that most of them provide for Free to independent artists just like US.
   Now if this bad law passes and stays it will put guys on this list
out of and off the air and deny many of us airplay on their stations
and force all of us to have to BUY radio time to ever get our music on
the air waves.  WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES and stop smelling the
Manure that they have been spreading to us for decades.   IN the
present system  Everybody in the chain gets to make money except the
poor bastard musicians at the bottom of the list. 90% of the time.

I am already meeting resistance to playing the records by indie
Internet stations because as they state the royalty rate structure
could cost them as much as $1.76 for every song they play.  Simply not
economically feasible at all, and the system was clearly designed to
shut them all down under the guise of gong after AOL and Sirius  etc.
The Big boys, fighting for yet another piece of the money pie that none
of them had much to do with creating.

Now if any of you have ever even tried to get your records played on a
mainstream radio station, then you know it is all but impossible, as
they are pre programmed by the major labels,  hence the recent PAYOLA
SCAM raising it's ugly head again  and the major culprit in the scheme
Clear Channel who controls 45% of all commercial radio in the USA
alone.    As part of their latest settlement without admitting guilt
again as usual:))  they have supposedly agreed to give up 8000 hours of
free radio airplay to independent artists and labels, since I happen to
be working both  those entities I will let you know shortly if it is
reality or will be put on the back burner for appeals processes which
can take years longer of course while everything is status Quo.   And
yews little or none of it will  have one iota of effect on any OKOM
bands or musos except that they will no longer even be able to promote
themselves and get free airplay on an internet station either.

Right now independent artists are making great strides on the internet
self promoting their music and actually for the first time in history
getting paid for it by selling their Cds and digital downloads direct
to the consumers and collecting also for the first time ALL their
royalties for their own pockets, rather than the pittance of usually
10% of the leftovers after all costs and expenses and expense accounts
of the major record labels and ASCAP and BMI and RIAA have been paid.

Now another fly in this ointment of organizations set up ostensibly to
Protect and collect money for the starving artists and songwriters thru
the various already long in place systems of the status quo is evident
with my good colleague Dave Hanson's post about this situation from the
standpoint of the AFof M.

The AAF of M want us to all get on board and vote for the Court Royalty
decision because they do not have to fight for anything on behalf of
the individual artists or copyright owners, but are party to the
awarded decision because they are set to benefit with a 5% contribution
to their own fund for recording artists union members.  Hello   we are
not talking about the Union session players here in the millions of
dollars being generated by independent produced artists most of whom
are not even Union members, and also many who actually own their owen
independent record labels and publishing companies that have long been
ignored and passed over by the aforementioned Giant organizations set
up to actually pay them but divert the majority of the money into their
own extravagant expenses and operations and armies of lawyers to keep
everyone else at bay and preventing congress or the courts to ever
really know what the Hell they are doing with all that money they
collect anyway.    So of course they want to go along with it, it is
just more found money for them even if it means starving out all the
small independent artists and radio station entrepenuers  once again
and killing small business operators to maintain their own status quo
welfare benefits for the chosen few that benefit thru their membership.

I certainly do not have a problem with ANY union member collecting
royalties for any recording he actually played on that is sold and
making money, but I do have a big problem with the money from all the
non union member musicians paying royalties to the minority of Union
cats feeding off that fund set up to collect money from the major
record labels  and radio stations and Television stations many years
ago before we started to realize just how crooked and broken the
Recording and publishing and copyright business really is.

Do not roll over and play dead on this one check all the FACTS and read
between the lines,  Question Authority and always beware of those that
volunteer to go collect your money for you, they might also offer to
take care of your lovely wife and daughters too :))   Or to be
Politically correct even your sons :))

  I am currently looking to get a record played on thousands of internet
stations and sell a Million dollars worth of them.   Not one of those
folks ever invested a penny into this project and they have no right
whatsoever to tell me that I can't offer it for radio airplay on any
station that I choose that might just sell some copies of it for me.
They simply don't want me selling any that they don't get a piece of
for doing nothing for me or my artists other than the old status quo BS
about how they are protecting us, from Who ? ourselves ?

You see folks we can't collect any money form any airplay spins that we
can't even get, and if we have to play the payola game to get them
there will be none coming back anyway, the money that they collect will
be coming from us paying the radio station to play them so in essence
the Big Radio has developed again the Payola game to pass those
royalties going to ASCAP BMI  etc on down to the artists "AGAIN"    Now
there is a new scam coming on board too where the radio stations will
be selling the artists spins on the air for $25.00 each and up,
depending upon the drive time of the play, all approved by the FCC
already.   Now Ain't that just Dandy?

Now there you have it kids,  They Finally got Rid of the ugly Old
PAYOLA scheme to get your records played on mainstream radio and it's
all nice and tidy and legal  falling under infomercial and advertising
revenue.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Back to sending out Cds to radio stations before they shut them all
down.   Ya see guys they want AOL & Sirus XM etc. but we can't even get
on those stations until we build a track record of the smaller ones
that are playing the material, and simply for get mainstream stations
playing it without hundreds of thousands of dollars being paid thru an
independent Radio promoter who still does not want to work the record
unless it is already in the retail stores, who will not take it unless
it is getting airplay and has a track record of being played on smaller
market stations driving customers into their stores to actually buy it.