[Dixielandjazz] Turntables with 78 rpm in Jersey/PA area?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 22 21:27:22 PDT 2007

DJMLers--
     OK, here's the deal.  I want to buy a turntable that has 78 rpm
speed so i can convert 78-records (early jazz, of course) to CDs by
shooting the sound to my computer, etc.  I do this all the time with
my current non-78 turntable for 33 rpm records.
     In May i'll be in Pennsylvania to attend my niece's graduation
from Bucknell, but i have some free time so i'm going to drive over
to Dillon Music in Woodbridge, New Jersey (between Rahway and Perth
Amboy), to try out some tubas and talk with Matt Walters about
tuba-design.  I'll be there just one day before i have to head back
to Pennsylvania.
     Is there anywhere in that area -- Pittsburgh (where i'm flying
to), Philadelphia, Woodbridge -- that sells turntables with 78 rpm
speed and (one hopes) also a knob to adjust the speed with?
     I also wouldn't mind hearing a little live dixieland along the
way, but i'm not going into New York City (not enough time).
     Any recommendations for turntable-stores?

     Dan
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "I am sitting in the smallest room in the house.  I have your
**     review in front of me.  Soon it will be behind me."
**       -- Max Reger (1873-1916) to a music critic