[Dixielandjazz] Monterey Festival and comments on sound.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sun Mar 18 00:50:40 PDT 2007

I canceled my DJML membership while on my first, and probably last,
trip to the Monterey festival, I may have missed other posts concerning
Monterey other then the newspaper article forwarded to me.  My comments
follow on Monterey, but pertain to all festivals today.

The weather was beautiful this year as was the area as usual. The
festival itself appeared to be well run after all these years as it
should be by now. April did a fine job on coming up with the bands and
All Stars. The one hour sets and half hour between sets gave everyone
ample time to get things done between sets, both on stage and off. There
were more then enough venues within easy walking distance. Fine food
available both at the host hotel and in the nearby downtown area. Major
attractions were nearby either within walking distance or a short ride.

Although not advertised that much in their ads for obvious reasons,
there were also a number of "reasonably" priced motels on Monterey's
motel row. The refurbished Super 8 for example. On the weekends prices
go up at all of them I believe?  A mile or so from the venues. The host
hotel may be a little pricey for some, but it appears to be first class
and near the Wharfs.

Consider that festival next year if you missed this one.

If any of the DJML members were there and have comments on the methods
used for the sound I would appreciate them privately or on the list. I
was allowed to do the sound in the main ballroom unimpeded all weekend,
but their usual method is to not "baby sit" the systems as they say.

I am curious if the band leaders or other band members on the list
concur with that method?  I do not expect to return myself. Consider
this another bridge burned. :-)

Mad Dawg