[Dixielandjazz] Asylum Street Spankers at SxSW.

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Mar 16 20:52:18 PDT 2007

Mike (and all)

The Spankers actually have some really good old-time jazz chops, but
they tend to focus on the "viper mad" and "booze" songs (and other
raunchy sorts of hokum) that appeals to an amazingly wide audience. I
saw them in San Jose a few years ago and some of the most uptight
"Trad Purists" I know were in the audience and really enjoying the
show along with all the rest of the crowd.

There are other bands like the Spankers who play for the 21 - 35 year
old "uber-hip" audience (with some brave older folks.) Is it OKOM? In
my book, yes!

Dave Richoux