[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in the Desert

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Fri Mar 16 15:49:48 PDT 2007

I moved to the Desert this last June but because of a family tragedy I  was
not able to join the group here to help with the festival  this year but I have
already made contacts and plan to be a large  part of the group next year.
One of the things I will try to do is too  get younger people involved. We also
have a un-tapped well of "Snow  Birds" here every year who didn't even hear
about the festival and are  always looking for new things to do. It would be so
nice to have them  attend every year. I'll do my best.

I didn't attend on Sunday but I was there Friday and  Saturday. It was
wonderful to have all my friends come to me for a change with  only a 12 mile drive
for me. Of course I know all the So. CA bands and most are  very good friends
of mine. There are groups who have that "Jazz Club" feel but  many, like the
Titanic JB, are going strong and bring new tunes and ideas to  each set. With a
couple of the bands though, I find myself attending a set out  of friendship
and not truly enjoyment as they play the same old tired way. It's  sad to hear
some chops that were at times, exciting and enjoyable but such is  the way of
all when we get old.

Jazz Hugs

Judie

By Larry  Rand Record Gazette

Dixieland jazz is alive and well in California,  with 27 clubs in the state
dedicated to the preservation of it.

The  Dixieland Jazz Society of the Desert had its festival March 9-12 in
central  Palm Springs, using the city's Pavilion building, senior center,
high  school auditorium and Boys & Girls Club as venues. Attendance was  in
the thousands, but seemed limited to the senior set - which is something  of
a mystery.