[Dixielandjazz] Awards

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 15 16:19:29 PDT 2007

We did the awards thing to somewhat of limited fashion at the Sacramento
Jazz Jubilee some years ago.

As I remember, it was only to choose a group of all-star musicians, not from
the All-Stars, but from all of the  bands playing at Sacramento that year.
Then the winning musicians were put together in a set.

This was probably in the era when we did not hire so-called All-Star
musicians.

I think this was done in the 70s.  After a couple of years, it was decided
that we did not like pitting musicians against other musicians.

In the beginning of the festival when Bill Borcher was the Exec Director, he
had the idea of having a contest and choosing the best band or bands at the
jubilee.  Bill's background was in sports.  he had played basket ball at
Oregon State and maybe even coached, thus his idea of competition.

We decided again that we did not like putting bands against each other.

I know, it is a tradition what with the battle of the Bands and the Rent
parties that took place in the 20s and 30s.  But we just thought better of
the idea.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

"Good breeding consists of concealing how much we think of ourselves
and how little we think of the other person." --Mark Twain