[Dixielandjazz] A Wee Dram of Jazz Connection

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 15 11:02:49 PDT 2007

Don,  in deference to Mr Ringwald, and his requirement to keeping the thread towards OKOM. I looked at th youtube suggestion of a member about the Carlings. What an amazing family from Holland, where the drink is "GIN".  A nine year old young lady handling the solos and ensemble work in Jazz standards, put my attempts to play trombone to shame. Hope she is still playing, what a set of chops.

  As to the Superstition , not bad, sampled one around the holidays.

  Slainte

  Ed Coltrin.

Don Ingle <dingle at nomadinter.net> wrote:
  I realize that we have contributed to the lore of Single Malt and other
hootches of favor amongst us, but before He Who Must Administer List
Topics realises not much jazz has been discussed, I will try to correct
course a bit. (Having first earlier had a night cap of Isle of Jura
Superstition, a new malt to recommend).
Music: When working with Uncle Rosey McHargue in the '60's at the
Cottage in Pasadena, we would often play Alcoholic Blues. Rosey would
sing it -- enough pithy words to drive one to drink.
Also, my mentor and friend Ernest Loring Nichols, Red to most, had a
wonderful chart in his book written by pianist Bobby Hammock of the
Scottish folk song, lyrics by Robert Burns, of Flow Gently Sweet Afton.
And let us not forget two ladies that made another Scottish Folk song
swing along quite merrily, Maxine Sullivan and Ella Logan with their
takes on Loch Lomand.
For those who find the single malt pricey, there's also Scotch and
Water, a "blend" of notes and words.
We can all find similar references to alcoholic potables in other music
titles. I'd add more, but then it would cut in on my sipping time. But
have at it, ye listees of other than teetotaler persuasions. I'm sure
the titles will flow like. . .what else. . . wine.
Hey, I'll drink to that, single malt of course.
Slainte m'hath,
Don Ingle