[Dixielandjazz] Now You Has JAZZ !

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 01:24:46 PDT 2007

Well yes David you probably do know someone who will quickly answer it
but not necessarily the one you thought.

  While yes there are some excellent OKOM bands outside the USA, there
are also just as many Shitty ones as there are in the USA that continue
to perpetrate mediocre and terrible renditions of Traditional Jazz upon
the public who simply do not know any better, because they have been
fed mediocrity and often totally inept music cheaply by hobby bands for
so many years that they now think that is the REAL DEAL. There are
Mickey Mouse Bands all over the world that could not play their way out
of a Wet paper sack.

  And there are many wonderful high caliber and entertaining bands that
do not belong to this list, or that simply choose to be lurkers, that
never chime in because they realize that the list is permeated with a
bunch of malcontent amateurs who actually think that they know
everything about this business because they have had a steady gig in a
pizza parlor or coffee shop for one night a week for twenty five years.
This Ladies and gentlemen is a list of nice folks, and some very
knowledgeable ones as well, but it also has some real idiots who come
back to post from time to time and feel like they can actually
challenge the professionals who do this for a living seven days a week
while they play at it.

  The dwindling audiences that ya'll keep talking about are the ones
that keep deserting this music because of the mediocre amateurs playing
to mostly mediocre non musical audiences in the first place, in other
words you got a bunch of dead beat bands playing to a bunch of dead
beat audiences that are getting old with you and dying, often faster
than the musos playing to them.

  There is a live and viable audience out there for this music but they
demand it to be fresh hot and swinging to embrace it and the bands that
play it, if you can't or won't step up to the plate and deliver that,
then sadly you are gong to die off with your current audience.

  Commercial forces are a way of life like it or not, and if you don't
establish yourself as a commercial force worthy of being paid the
prevailing rate for professionalism in this market then perhaps you
just ain't ready for Prime time or never will be and should bow out
gracefully and keep your day gig .

  The divisions are not artificial, there are only Two kinds of Music
"GOOD and SHITTY" and there is no shortage of either you just need to
look harder to find the Good because the Shitty is more visible because
it usually will work for less just to get on a stage and play to
ANYBODY. well guys ANYBODY is not a musical connoisseur nor an
immediate jazz authenticator of even what they are hearing.

And I do not mean to belittle the audience here folks, they generally
only understand Jazz to be what ever they have been exposed to and
programmed to believe is Traditional Jazz, good bad or mostly
indifferent presented by hobbyist fulfilling their own aspirations and
ego machinations and trying to convince the audience that they are
indeed JAZZ MUSICIANS who often have a day gig which supports them so
that they can play a little Jazz on the side for extra beer money.

And this scenario is far from limited to Jazz music folks, it is in all
music, even classical "GOD FORBID"  the elite of the elite!!!  why some
of them even resort to playing Jazz on their days off from their
salaried gigs.  :))   But that is perfectly acceptable because they are
UNION Members.  :))

Oh well enough of this rant.

If da shoe fits wear it.  :))

Rev. Tom Bob has given his sermon of the month.