[Dixielandjazz] No Sheet music for The Chant

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 14 01:16:32 PDT 2007

> I'm sure Melrose must have published sheet music.........<

Dear Sheik,
They certainly did.
Melrose Bros. Music Co. Inc. 119 North Clark Street, Chicago, Ill.
The point I was making with "The illustration on the original music cover
may give a clue" was that, in the absence of words to a tune (as with "The
Chant") the illustrations on old sheet music often gave a clue to the
author's intended theme. But you know that.
Mike Meddings' advice regarding the subtitle "The Chant - A Spooky Serenade"
(which I would have known if I'd checked his wonderful web site) gives the
clue to its meaning when listening to the various 1926 versions (Morton,
Henderson, Original Indiana Five, Original Memphis Five and Dixie Rhythm
Kings). I don't have the Joe Candullo.
Echoes of Congo Square? Or am I getting carried away - again?

>..............but I have a transcription of the record in my "Dixieland Fake
Book Vol. 2".<
I know. You kindly sent me a copy of that excellent publication.
Highly recommended to all DJML musicianers looking for more esoteric 'Trad'
tunes.
Kind regards,
Bill.