[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz - Was Harlem Hot Jazz

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Mon Mar 12 10:14:47 PST 2007

Good Golly Miss Molly,
Such a brew-ha-ha-he-he-ho-ho over what something is called.
I listen to a lot of music -- that's right it's called music m-u-s-i-c.
Some of it I call jazz, but I wouldn't think of saying which  in this
milieu.
And when our band plays, we play "music" and announce each one as a
tune, song or piece.
I leave it up to the folks listening as to what they call it.
We extemporize and some times might use a lead sheet, a head arrangement
or just start a tune
and let everyone in the band decide what to do. Might even use
replica-style arrangement with solosist
free to do what they like (including repeating a classic solo if they
wish.) The only should is that
the band and the audience SHOULD be allowed to enjoy whatever it is.

I don't even think I agree with anyone else's view of what a Mickey
Mouse band is
except that the term in my neck of the woods was sort of a pejorative.
To me it  means a group that
was ok but not particularly  good playing stock arrangements of mostly
popular dance tunes

OK folks, carry on carryin' on if it floats your boat. I'll see you
after the next break.

Craig Johnson