[Dixielandjazz] Fletcher Henderson and Benny Goodman Plus Chick Webb.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 11 15:03:27 PST 2007

Stan and Hal talk about Benny Goodman playing Henderson arrangements and
Stan opines that Goodman sounded better.

No disagreement from me. However, remember that Goodman was playing them 4
years or so later. There had been tremendous advances in Big Band music
during those years. By 1937-8 Goodman was competing in NYC with Chick Webb.

To hear Goodman's Dixieland roots go to:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/bgb.html

These records were made a scant 10 years earlier than BG's "Wrappin It Up".
Benny was 18 when these were made. Some young legends on these sides. BG
came a long way in those 10 years in terms of musicality and his concept of
what and how he wanted to play.

For later BG in quartet setting see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2p7uNGlo1E

And remember that in 1937, Chick Webb who was Harlem's King of Swing, faced
BG's band in a cutting contest at the Savoy Ballroom. Here is what was
remembered of that event by legendary swing dancer Norma Miller, then Savoy
Hostess Helen Clarke, and NY Swing Dance Society Pres., Bob Crease from a
1990 interview." (Crowd was estimated at 20,000 people)

"Miller: My biggest night at the Savoy, was at the Goodman vs. Webb battle
[on May 11, 1937]. John Hammond said Goodman played the best, but I thought
Webb won."

"Crease: People would make informal judgements; Downbeat, for instance,
reviewing the event said that Webb won by a close margin."

"Clarke: Chick didn't think it was close. His bandstand was right in front
of our booth, and that night when he came down and passed by I heard him
say, 'I cut him a new ass hole, didn't I?'"

And Gene Krupa remembered:

"I'll never forget that night, the night Benny's band battled Chick at the
Savoy -- he just cut me to ribbons -- made me feel awfully small ... That
man was dynamic; he could reach the most amazing heights.  When he really
let go, you had a feeling that the entire atmosphere in the place was being
charged.  When he felt like it, he could cut down any of us.I'll never
forget that night, the night Benny's band battled Chick at the Savoy -- he
just cut me to ribbons -- made me feel awfully small ... That man was
dynamic; he could reach the most amazing heights.  When he really let go,
you had a feeling that the entire atmosphere in the place was being
charged.  When he felt like it, he could cut down any of us."

Makes one wish he'd/she'd been there, no?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone