[Dixielandjazz] Oh Dem Bones On Ted Vesley

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Mar 9 16:48:42 PST 2007

Bill Haesler wrote:
> Geez,
> I am not even a trombone player but I can sure tell you that this guy is all
> wet.
> --Bob Ringwald
>
> Dear Bob,
> You and other DJMLers seem to be holding your own on this one so, as a
> failed trombonist who in the 40s-50 who couldn't adapt my brass band
> training to jazz, I will keep out of it.
> However, as a discographer, I have a question.
> Our anonymous correspondent said: >And by the way, Jack Teagarden proved
> that this was do-able in his 1944 beautiful solo version of Sophisticated
> Lady.  (After all, the standard of lip flexibility in jazz set by Jack more
> than 60 years ago still stands, or at least it should.)<
> **What 1944 JT version of "Sophisticated Lady'?**
> Listmate Marty Nichols drew attention to this with: >Also, the rant about a
> "Teagarden " version of Sophisticated Lady is highly suspect. I own a
> recording that purports to be Jack playing S.L. but to my "educated ear" is
> NOT Jack at all but sounds much more like Lawrence Brown, particularly on
> the "trills." I personally will donate $100 dollars to the DJML piggy bank
> (if one exists) when and if anyone proves the subject recording is indeed
> Jack Teagarden.<
> Ever eager for us to get our hands on Marty's money, I did some checking.
> My files show only TWO versions of this tune with a Teagarden connection.
> A WNEW ŒSaturday Night Swing Session¹ broadcast in New York on May 10, 1947
> featuring Duke Ellington and Guests from which several titles were issued on
> V-Disc. Teagarden was one of Duke¹s guests and played on ³Take The A Train²
> and ³I¹ve Found A New Baby². Also included in this program (and issued on
> V-Disc) was ³Sophisticated Lady² where the tbnist was the Ellington regular
> at that time -  Lawrence Brown!
> The second occasion was a Ben Pollack Californians' session in Los Angeles
> for Savoy on August 21, 1952 where two guest tbnists were included.
> JT on ³Mighty Lak' A Rose² and Ted Veseley playing ³Sophisticated Lady².
> I have these two tracks on a United Audio 'Jack Teagarden' CD.
> Perhaps, Marty will get to keep his $100.
> Kind regards,

Ted Vesley was a marvel. A little trivia here is important. Ted was a
good journeyman trombonist. then he went into the service in. He has a
conderful band with Bobby Hihhins cornet, and Stan Story onclarinet and
apowernto the service in the War, was injured in battle and sustained a
facial injury that left him partially parilyzed in the facee. He was
told that he would likely never play again, but he was a stubborn guy
and took all the theropy he could and then praticed daily for long hours
and finally when the dust of woodsheddi ng rettled, he was a master
trombonist and it was my great joy to hear hm live many times in my
teens and later early 20's in LA area. His band had the wonderful
cornetist Bobby Higgins and fineclarinetist Stan Story, plus a
powerhouse rhythm section. They could play anything any one else could
and igve them change.
Wonderful memory you brought me in the mention of Ted Vesley. A man who
passed on way too young and that is the great misfortune for many who
would have marveled at his talent.
Don Ingle